Programme Code: SAQA-96080 – NQF level 5 – Credits 120
The Higher Certificate in Human Resource Management is a one year programme that prepares students for employment in human resource positions. Human resource management is critical for the long-term sustainability and economic growth of South African industry, business and other types of organisations.
People in industry and business determine to a great extent economic success or failure, and therefore it is critical that supervisors and administrative staff have the basic ability to engage with the changing demands of the workplace and industry. A Higher Certificate in Human Resource Management provides an ideal platform for school leavers to develop basic human resource administration knowledge, skills and competencies.
This programme has a real-world and market focus and can be immediately applied in the workplace. It offers up to date information on domestic and international human resource practices. The course work stresses on practical techniques to identify and attract employees. In addition, it positions human resource as a strategic business partner in a highly competitive work environment.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Define the sphere of human resource management;
- Plan, manage and coordinate human resource requirements for an organisation;
- Apply human resource principles when selecting and recruiting employees;
- Communicate effectively to ensure development of employees and ensure maintenance of good working relationships;
- Understand and apply the basic conditions of employment act in an organisation;
- Explain the human resource principles related to employee benefits compensation and management of employees;
- Understand and apply Health and Safety regulations within the work environment;
- Supervise and manage employees’ performance;
- Determine and apply rewards and incentives;
- Analyse, adhere, use, meet the legislative requirements and the business policies and procedures in the human resources management activities;
- Assess problems with employees and take appropriate actions; and
- Articulate the operations service and performance levels required in the organisation.
Duration: 1 year
|1||1||Principles of Human Resource Management
Human Resource Planning
Recruitment and Selection
|2||Training and Development
Compensation and Benefits
- The minimum entry requirement is the National Senior Certificate or National Certificate Vocational with appropriate subject combinations and levels of achievement; or
- An equivalent NQF level 4 qualification with proven proficiency in English.