Are you someone who thrives in a busy working environment? Are you great at organising events? Do you love negotiation?
In that case, event management might be the perfect fit for you.
Studying events management courses online can be an excellent choice since you’ll be able to acquire all the skills, knowledge, and expertise you need to flourish in this industry — even while working.
At MANCOSA, we offer a Higher Certificate in Events Management that’ll give you everything you need to be a successful events manager.
This article will delve into the exciting event management industry, explaining exactly what event management is, what event managers do, what skills they need, and more so you can decide if this is the right career for you, which is great because MANCOSA offers events management courses online for your convenience.
What is Event Management?
Event management is the process of planning and organising business, social, or marketing events. Companies and brands worldwide host these types of events for internal and external purposes.
- Internal events are used to either engage and align employees or inform and educate board members or stakeholders.
- External events are used to gain brand awareness, attract customers, and build authority within the industry.
Regardless of whether the event is intended for internal or external purposes, it can take many different forms. These include, but aren’t limited to:
- Virtual events
Virtual events are hosted online — meaning people attend remotely. Virtual events have become extremely popular, mainly due to the Covid pandemic — and even after the pandemic, they remain a top choice. One of the top reasons they’re so popular is because they create massive amounts of engagement.
In a 2020 survey conducted by Statista, over 45% of companies said that they prefer hosting virtual events due to the sheer amount of engagement it produces.
Workshops are usually brief educational programs for a small group of people that can be hosted for internal and external purposes.
They often consist of a group of people with the same interests who talk about a specific topic, conduct research, and develop their skills.
A conference is an event where many people gather to learn about a specific subject. These events usually have expert speakers who share information about a topic and a vast audience who listen and engage.
Conferences are often used to create brand awareness, announce product launches, and provide networking opportunities for different businesses and professionals in the industry. Take a look at some of the events being hosted by MANCOSA.
Even though all of these events require different software, platforms, and other elements to run effectively, they all need an event manager to plan, conceptualise, and implement the event, which means that a proper qualification like events management courses online or campus based, will go a long way in securing your employment with a reputable events agency, or even assist you if you were to run your own business.
What does an Event Manager do?
Event managers have a list of responsibilities when it comes to managing events. These include:
- Planning: During the planning process, event managers need to take an idea for an event and start planning all the different aspects that’ll bring it to life. They need to think of where the event will be held, the budget, the type of software and equipment that’ll be used, the ideal venue, etc.
- Execution: After planning the entire event, they need to execute their plan. For example, they’ll have to book their venue, call catering companies, buy the necessary equipment and software, invite event speakers, and more.
- Marketing: They’ll also need to work with the marketing team to start advertising the event on multiple platforms, such as social media, Google Ads, their company’s email newsletter, etc. Discover more about digital transformation in modern marketing managment.
- Coordination: On the day of the event, they’ll need to ensure that the everything runs according to plan and that all teams perform their allocated tasks.
Critical skills needed to be an Event Manager
Here are some top skills an event manager needs to plan and execute unforgettable events for their organisations.
- Communication: They need to have exceptional communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate with all parties involved. This way, they can avoid confusion and ensure everyone is on the same page from the start.
- Negotiation skills: Since event managers need to book venues, buy equipment, and invite speakers, they must have great negotiation skills to get the best prices possible. This way, they’ll be able to stick to their budget, no matter what.
- Detail-oriented: They need to have an eye for detail as sometimes missing even the smallest detail can negatively impact an event. Thus, they need to double-check all marketing materials and ensure that all information is correct.
- Problem-solving: There isn’t a single event that’ll ever happen without a hitch. Problems will always arise. Thus, an event manager needs to be good at problem-solving and should be able to work well under pressure.
- Creativity: They need to be creative to bring their vision to life. This way, authenticity and passion will be put into every event, resulting in one-of-a-kind events that attendees will remember.
How do the Event’s Management courses online work?
Studying a higher certificate in events management online means that students can learn even while having a full-time job.
The events management courses online offer a certificate that gives students the ideal opportunity to develop skills in financial management, event management, event administration, marketing and communication, and more.
The programme takes students through a series of modules and classes they can attend remotely. It takes on a self-directed, distance learning approach.
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will have the practical skills and knowledge to remain competitive and thrive in this lucrative, ever-changing industry.
Study Event Management courses online with MANCOSA
Event management can be a very exciting and rewarding career choice. This is the ideal industry for you if you have exceptional communication, organisational, problem-solving, and negotiation skills.
Ready to dive into the management world?
Have a look at MANCOSA’s range of event management courses, including the Higher Certificate in Events Management, Higher Certificate in Business Management, or Bachelor of Commerce in Project Management.