Programme Code: SAQA-93812 – NQF level 5 – Credits 120
This qualification is an undergraduate qualification that offers a combination of theory and practice in the area of public management. The purpose of the qualification is to provide a structured qualification for students wishing to work as public officials. The need for well-qualified, efficient, client-oriented public officials has been identified as a priority in all spheres of government.
The qualification aims to develop an integrated conceptual understanding, synthesis and application of specific issues in public management. The qualification will develop management skills, planning skills as well as provide participants with the ability to communicate effectively. The purpose of this qualification is to equip students with a sound fundamental knowledge base regarding public management.
The qualification is aimed at equipping line managers with the knowledge and skills required to fulfil their management role within the public sector.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the public management environment
- Apply management principles in a work-based context
- Utilise technology to communicate effectively
- Contribute to the development of operational plans for a public sector organisation
- Be familiar with public finance terminology, concepts and definitions
- Manage information in a public management context
- Analyse the political, social, economic, and legal environments of public sector organisations
- Acquire skills in written communication, planning, budgeting, decision-making, and collaboration
- Display knowledge of ethical issues in public sector management
Duration: 1 year
Local Government Management
|2||End User Computing
Politics and Ethics in Governance
- The minimum entry requirement is the National Senior Certificate or National Certificate Vocational with appropriate subject combinations and levels of achievement; or
- An equivalent NQF level 4 qualification with proven proficiency in English.