Programme Code: SAQA-62151 - NQF level 7 - Credits 360
The Bachelor of Public Administration (BPA) programme is an undergraduate programme which focuses on principles and practices of public administration and management in the public sector.
The BPA programme equips the student to function effectively and efficiently in public service organisations. It also examines local systems of governments. This includes an understanding of the types of local government and their constitutional relations with intermediate and central government. It also examines public policy issues and priorities.
The programme has the primary purpose of providing a well-rounded, broad education that equips students with the knowledge base and methodology principles that enable them to enter the labour market.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Apply fundamental management principles in a work-based context;
- Utilise technology to communicate effectively;
- Conduct basic research;
- Manage information in a public management context;
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic economic principles;
- To analyse the political, social, economic, and legal environments of public sector organisations;
- Acquire skills in written communication, planning, budgeting, decision-making, and collaboration; and
- Be aware of ethical issues and problems in public organisations.
Duration: 3 years
|1||1||Public Administration 1A
End User Computing
|2||Public Administration 1B
|2||1||Public Administration 2A
Local Government 1A
Public Sector Economics
|2||Public Administration 2B
Local Government 1B
Introduction to Politics
Ethics in the Public Sector
|3||1||Public Administration 3A
Local Government 2A
Research in the Public Sector
Public Administration 3B
|2||Local Government 2B
Public Sector Budgeting
Public Administration 3C
Public Administration 3D
- The minimum entry requirement is the National Senior Certificate or National Certificate Vocational with appropriate subject combinations and levels of achievement; or
- An equivalent NQF level 4 qualification with proven proficiency in English; or
- A Higher Certificate, an Advanced Certificate or Diploma.