Programme Code: SAQA-62151 - NQF level 7 - Credits 360
The Bachelor of Public Administration (BPA) programme is an undergraduate programme which focuses on principles and practices of public administration and management in the public sector.
The BPA programme equips the student to function effectively and efficiently in public service organisations. It also examines local systems of governments. This includes an understanding of the types of local government and their constitutional relations with intermediate and central government. It also examines public policy issues and priorities.
The programme has the primary purpose of providing a well-rounded, broad education that equips students with the knowledge base and methodology principles that enable them to enter the labour market.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and solve more complex public and development management problems in a critical and creative way.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively with others as a member of a senior management team in the developmental and public sectors.
- Demonstrate the ability to organise and manage oneself and one's personal activities responsibly and effectively.
- Demonstrate the ability to collect, analyse, organise and critically evaluate more advanced and technically more complex public management related information.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate more advanced and technically more complex public management related issues effectively, using more advanced visual, mathematical and or language skills in the modes of oral and/or written persuasion.
- Demonstrate the ability to use advanced technical public management related science and technology effectively and critically, showing responsibility towards the environment and interests of others.
- Demonstrate advanced and technical understanding of the world as a set of related systems by recognising that public management related problem-solving contexts do not exist in isolation.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand and apply a range of advanced, technical public management-related techniques, procedures and experimental approaches required in the different specific programmes leading up to this qualification.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply these advanced and technical complex public management related knowledge and practical skills to address theoretical and practical management problems.
- Demonstrate refined and advanced ability to learn and apply appropriate lessons from these complex experiences in order to solve technical public management related problems in such a way that sustainable developmental outcomes are ensured.
Duration: 3 years
|1||1||Public Administration 1A
End User Computing
|2||Public Administration 1B
|2||1||Public Administration 2A
Local Government 1A
Public Sector Economics
|2||Public Administration 2B
Local Government 1B
Introduction to Politics
Ethics in the Public Sector
|3||1||Public Administration 3A
Local Government 2A
Research in the Public Sector
Public Administration 3B
|2||Local Government 2B
Public Sector Budgeting
Public Administration 3C
Public Administration 3D
- The minimum entry requirement is the National Senior Certificate or National Certificate Vocational with appropriate subject combinations and levels of achievement; or
- An equivalent NQF level 4 qualification with proven proficiency in English; or
- A Higher Certificate, an Advanced Certificate or Diploma.