1. Governing Law
The law which is to apply to these Terms and Conditions, and according to which these Terms and Conditions are to be interpreted, shall be governed by the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
2. Interpretation and Definitions
The words of which the initial letter is capitalized have meanings defined under the following conditions. The following definitions shall have the same meaning regardless of whether they appear in singular or in plural.
- Account means a unique account created for a Data Subject to access MANCOSA Services or parts of Services.
- Data Subject means an identifiable, living natural person or juristic person (Company, Closed Corporation, Trust etc.) accessing or using the Service, or the company, or other legal entity on behalf of which such individual is accessing or using the Service, as applicable.
- MANCOSA referred to as either “MANCOSA”, “We”, “Us” or “Our” in this Policy
- Cookies are small files that are placed on a Data Subject’s computer, mobile device or any other device by a website, containing the details of browsing history on that website among its many uses.
- Country refers to: Republic of South Africa
- Device means any device that can access the Service such as a computer, a cell phone or a digital tablet.
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is any personal information which relates to an identified Data Subject.
- Service refers to MANCOSA Websites, Student Portals and/or other MANCOSA systems.
- Service Provider refers to third-party companies or individuals employed by MANCOSA to facilitate the Service, to provide the Service on behalf of MANCOSA, to perform services related to the Service or to assist MANCOSA in analysing how the service is used.
- Usage Data refers to data collected automatically, either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Website refers to MANCOSA, accessible from www.mancosa.co.za
- Information can also be referred to as data as it is captured by MANCOSA and stored within its tools and systems (for example, information is captured as data in a MANCOSA system or database).
MANCOSA will only require or request Personally Identifiable Information from a data subject through the following official channels:
- MANCOSA Student Portal
- MANCOSA Student Services Contact Centre
- Live Chat
- Call Centre
- Fresh Desk Ticket System
- MANCOSA Application Portal
- Official MANCOSA Surveys
MANCOSA is committed to strict Legislative compliance in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (Hereinafter referred to as POPIA). By using the MANCOSA website, student portals, and other systems and tools utilised by MANCOSA for the provision of its services, it is hereby agreed that the personal information supplied to MANCOSA may be used for any lawful purpose related to a Data Subject or any other relationship or engagement with MANCOSA. Personal information includes, but is not limited to, a Data Subjects name, IP address, Identification number etc. MANCOSA will process a Data Subject’s personal information in order to communicate offers that we think may be of best interest to the Data Subject unless the Data Subject requests not to receive any marketing materials which promotes MANCOSA’s goods and/or services.
- from users, customers / business partners / contractors referred to as Data Subjects
- from the documentation that MANCOSA requests and that a Data Subject provides
- through sites, when a Data Subject signs up for a newsletter and social media platforms;
- from information about a Data Subject that is publicly available,
- Please note, depending on circumstances, MANCOSA may choose not to collect information from all these sources.
- MANCOSA endeavours to take all reasonable and necessary measures to secure the integrity and confidentiality of a Data Subject’s personal information and protect your information from misuse, loss, interference, unauthorised access, modification or unauthorised disclosure. Electronic copies are held in a secure environment, with the application of appropriate passwords and other computer and software security techniques. Once a Data Subject has submitted information and provided the necessary consent, MANCOSA is entitled to use such personal information as follows:
- to identify a Data Subject as aforenamed
- to verify the last time a Data Subject used MANCOSA services, if at all;
- to inform a Data Subject of goods, services and/or products which MANCOSA determines is appropriate for a specific Data Subject. (unless the Data Subject has opted out);
- to receive confirmation that a Data Subject has granted MANCOSA authority to act as the “responsible party” if information is held by a third party;
- for business purposes, such as analysing and managing MANCOSA business, market search, audits, developing new products, improving services and products, gauging customer satisfaction and providing customer service;
- for third party verifications relating to potential employers or organisations providing bursaries;
- to transfer a Data Subject’s information across borders; and
- for any purpose permitted by law, including the provision of information to regulators and quality councils within South Africa and the SADC region.
5. Collecting and using Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
5.1 Types of Information Collected
5.1.1 Personal Information
While using MANCOSA Services, we may request certain PII which can be used to contact and/or identify a Data Subject. PII may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Email addresses
- First name and last name
- Phone numbers
- Full residential address
- Banking details
- Usage Data
- Next of kin information
- Parent / Legal Guardian Information (where applicable)
- Employer Information
- Sponsor Information
5.1.2 Usage Data
Usage Data is collected automatically when using the Service. Usage Data may include information such as Device’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that a Data Subject may visit, the time and date of the visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. When a Data Subject access the Service by or through a mobile device, MANCOSA may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device in use, a mobile device unique ID, the IP address of a mobile device, mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser in use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. MANCOSA may also collect information that a Data Subject’s device browser sends whenever visiting our Service or when accessing the Service by or through a mobile device.
5.1.3 Information from Third-Party Social Media Services
5.1.4 Tracking Technologies and Cookies
The technologies MANCOSA use may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of MANCOSA Service may use local stored objects (or Flash Cookies) to collect and store information about preferences or activity on our Service. Flash Cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as those used for Browser Cookies.
- Web Beacons. Certain sections of MANCOSA Services and emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) which permit MANCOSA, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of a certain section and verifying system and server integrity).
- Cookies can be “Persistent” or “Session” Cookies. Persistent Cookies remain on a personal computer or mobile device when a Data Subject goes offline, while Session Cookies are deleted as soon as the web browser is closed.
- MANCOSA uses both Session and Persistent Cookies for the purposes set out below:
Necessary / Essential Cookies
Type: Session Cookies
Administered by: MANCOSA
Purpose: These Cookies are essential to provide Data Subject’s with services available through the Website and to enable the use of some of its features. They help to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts. Without these Cookies, the services requested cannot be provided. MANCOSA only use these Cookies to provide Data Subject’s with such services.
Cookies Policy / Notice Acceptance Cookies
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: MANCOSA
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: MANCOSA
Purpose: These Cookies allow MANCOSA to remember choices made when a Data Subject uses the Website, such as remembering login details or language preference. The purpose of these Cookies is to provide a Data Subject with a more personal experience and to avoid having to re-enter preferences every time the Website is used.
5.2 Use of a Data Subject’s Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
MANCOSA may use PII for the following purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service, including to monitor the usage of our Service.
- To manage a Data Subject’s Account: to manage registration as a user of the Service. The PII provided by the Data Subject can give access to different functionalities of the Service which are available to a registered user.
- For the performance of a contract: the development, compliance and undertaking of the purchase contract for the products, items or services a Data Subject has purchased or of any other contract with MANCOSA through the Service.
- To contact a Data Subject by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication, such as a mobile application’s push notifications regarding updates or informative communications related to the functionalities, products or contracted services, including the security updates, when necessary or reasonable for their implementation.
- To provide a Data Subject with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that the Data Subject has already purchased or enquired about unless specifically opted not to receive such information.
- To manage Data Subject requests: To attend and manage requests submitted to MANCOSA.
- For business transfers: MANCOSA may use Data Subject’s information to evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of MANCOSA assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which PII held by MANCOSA pertaining to a Data Subject is among the assets transferred.
- For other purposes: MANCOSA may use a Data Subject’s information for other purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and to evaluate and improve our Service, products, services, marketing and your experience. These activities may, in some cases, be carried out by the following parties but is not limited to:
- external partners
- educational research foundations
- relevant regulators
- quality councils.
- MANCOSA may share a Data Subject’s PII in the following situations:
- With Service Providers: MANCOSA may share a Data Subject’s PII with Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service, to contact a Data Subject.
- For business transfers: MANCOSA may share or transfer a Data Subject’s PII in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of Our business to another company.
- With business partners: MANCOSA may share a Data Subject’s PII with our business partners to offer a Data Subject certain products, services or promotions.
- With other users: when a Data Subject shares PII or otherwise interacts in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside. If a Data Subject interacts with other users or register through a Third-Party Social Media Service, a Data Subject’s contacts on the Third-Party Social Media Service may see a Data Subject’s name, profile, pictures and description of a Data Subject’s activity. Similarly, other users may be able to view descriptions of activity, communicate with and view a Data Subject’s profile.
- With a Data Subject’s consent: We may disclose a Data Subject’s PII for any other purpose with the Data Subject’s consent.
5.3 Retention of Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
MANCOSA will also retain usage data for internal analysis purposes. Usage data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, or MANCOSA is legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
5.4 Transfer of Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
Information, including PII, is processed at MANCOSA operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located. Such processing means that PII may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of a Data Subject’s province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from the Data Subject’s jurisdiction.
5.5 Disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
5.5.1 Business Transactions
5.5.2 Law enforcement
Under certain circumstances, MANCOSA may be required to disclose a Data Subject’s PII if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
5.5.3 Other legal requirements
MANCOSA may disclose a Data Subject’s PII in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation
- Protect and defend the rights or property of MANCOSA`
- Prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- Protect the personal safety of Users of the Service or the public
- Protect against legal liability
5.6 Security of Your Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
The security of a Data Subject’s PII is important to us; however, it is important to note that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While MANCOSA will take all necessary and reasonable steps to protect a Data Subject’s PII and other relevant data, MANCOSA cannot guarantee its absolute security.
6. Children’s Privacy
MANCOSA Services do not address anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information (PII) from anyone under the age of 13. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided MANCOSA with PII, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected PII from anyone under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, MANCOSA will take reasonable steps to remove such information from our servers, tools and systems.
Where MANCOSA is required to capture personally identifiable information of students who may be below the age of 18, MANCOSA will require informed consent to do so from the students Parent or Legal Guardian.
7. Links to other Websites
MANCOSA has no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third-party sites or services
9. Cross Boarder Information Transfer
Where MANCOSA transfers Personal Information about a data subject to an organisation or MANCOSA partner outside of South Africa, we will ensure that:
- MANCOSA obtains a data subject’s consent if need be; or
- there is a contractual necessity/obligation to transfer the Personal Information.
- the organisation or partner receiving the information is subject to a law, binding corporate rules or binding agreement which provides an adequate level of protection of a data subject’s Personal Information,
- Currently, student related information within the Learner Management System (LMS) is backed up to a database in Ireland for redundancy and only the following Personal Information fields are contained within the LMS:
- Student Name
- Student Surname
- Student Email Address
- Student Number
- Where MANCOSA has branches outside of South Africa, these branches access the Student Information System (MANMIS) via the cloud and do not have any local instances of the system. MANCOSA has branches in the following countries outside of South Africa:
10. Contact Us