As of 07 April 2020:
(Source : Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU))
In light of the global developments regarding the spread of the COVID-19 Coronavirus, MANCOSA is monitoring the coronavirus outbreak very closely and continues to follow the guidance from the South African Health Ministry and other National directives.
We have reviewed the situation and possible impact on our staff and students and have undertaken a number of steps to create awareness and ensure adequate hygiene practices are in place to protect the welfare of our most important assets, our students and staff.
It is important to note that thus far there are no reported cases of the coronavirus at MANCOSA including students, faculty and staff.
What is coronavirus?
How does it spread?
What are the symptoms and how dangerous is it?
How long does it take for symptoms to show?
What are the steps I can take to reduce my exposure?
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 1-2m
- Respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
- Wash your hands well and frequently with soap and water or an alcohol based hand rub
- Substitute a smile for a handshake, don’t share eating utensils or cups
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and/or mouth with dirty hands
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or use a tissue to cover it, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Take care of your emotional health, get sleep, unplug from the news, meditate, exercise and eat well – these all support your body’s immune system.
What actions should I take if I live or have travelled to an area which has had reported cases and I develop coronavirus like symptoms?
If you are feeling unwell and showing coronavirus type symptoms you should isolate yourself and seek medical attention/advice.
Who is at risk for COVID-19?
What travel precautions should be taken?
What if I have recently returned to South Africa from an affected country or region?
Where else can I get information and advice about COVID-19?
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
How to protect yourself against COVID -19?
Q&A: How to protect yourself when traveling during the coronavirus outbreak?