Programme Code: SAQA-93811 – NQF level 5 – Credits 120
This qualification is an undergraduate qualification that offers a combination of theory and practice in the key area of accounting. The purpose of the qualification is to provide a structured qualification for students wishing to work as bookkeepers and junior accountants.
The qualification aims to develop an integrated conceptual understanding, synthesis and application of accounting principles. It provides a relevant higher education qualification enabling students to gain meaningful employment.
The qualification will develop junior management and leadership skills, and provide participants with skills in accounting, organisation and management.
The purpose of this qualification is to equip students with a sound fundamental knowledge base regarding accounting. The Higher Certificate in Accounting provides a career pathway for those wanting to specialise in accounting and financial management.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the accounting and finance environment of an organisation;
- Apply management principles in a work-based context;
- Utilise technology to communicate effectively;
- Acquire skills in planning, budgeting, decision-making, and collaboration;
- Operate as an informed junior accountant or manager;
- Undertake basic accounting tasks in an organisation;
- Classify, record, implement and maintain basic accounting systems;
- Apply, implement and maintain the basic principles in cost and management accounting systems; and
- Compile financial information for business decision making.
Duration: 1 year
Financial Accounting A
Financial Accounting B
- The minimum entry requirement is the National Senior Certificate or National Certificate Vocational with appropriate subject combinations and levels of achievement; or
- An equivalent NQF level 4 qualification with proven proficiency in English.