Programme Code: SAQA-36083 – NQF level 5 – Credits 140
The Higher Certificate in Local Government and Development Management [HCert (Local Government and Development Management)] aims to build the capacity of local government officials and those wishing to join the public service. The programme provides foundational learning in the functional areas of local government and development management.
This programme also empowers students with a high level of professional expertise together with a broad range of managerial skills in the local government sector. The HCert (Local Government and Development Management) is tailor-made for the local government environment, allowing managers and councillors to meet their different professional needs while keeping up-to-date with the latest issues.
The programme ensures that students gain knowledge, skills and competencies in the principles and practices of local government management enabling them to make a difference in service delivery to local communities.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Explain the distinctiveness of local government as part of the public sector in development and service delivery.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of governance within a prescribed statutory and legal framework.
- Understand the influence of the environment on local government and differentiate between the influences of the various role players in this regard.
- Apply ethical practices in management and decision making in local government.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the components of the external environment and its impact on local government.
- Understand the process of managing finances and budgets in local governments.
- Apply managerial skills in managing a local government workforce optimally.
- Apply project management skills in managing local government.
Duration: 1 year
|1||1||Local Government Finance
Local Government Law
Local Government Human Resource Management
|2||Local Government Management
Ethics and Professionalism
- The minimum entry requirement is the National Senior Certificate or National Certificate Vocational with appropriate subject combinations and levels of achievement; or
- An equivalent NQF level 4 qualification with proven proficiency in English.