Programme Code: SAQA-86346 – NQF level 8 – Credits 120
The Bachelor of Public Administration Honours (BPAHons) is a one-year postgraduate programme aimed at students who have completed the relevant first degree and who intend to consolidate and expand their knowledge in the field of public administration. This programme is pivotal to the development of research capacity in the methodology and techniques of public administration. Students will obtain advanced skills relevant to the public sector. The programme also focuses on equipping students with a sound understanding of organisational strategy, structure, systems and organisational culture.
The programme demands a high level of theoretical engagement and intellectual independence and is suitably designed for articulation into higher qualifications.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Identify, analyse, formulate, and solve convergent and divergent problems in public and non-governmental spheres through critical thinking.
- Work effectively with others as a leader of a team, group, organisation, community, and provide leadership to the group output in public and non-governmental spheres.
- Manage and organise his or hers activities and life responsibly and effectively, including his or hers studies and career.
- Collect, analyse, organise and critically evaluate information.
- Communicate effectively using visual, mathematical and/or language skills in the modes of oral and/or written presentation, in sustained discourse.
- Where appropriate, use science and technology effectively and critically, showing responsibility towards the environment and health and well-being of others, in community, national and global contexts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the world as a set of related systems by recognising that problem-solving contexts do not exist in isolation, and by acknowledging their responsibilities to those in the local and broader community.
Duration: 1 year
|1||1||Theory and Science of Public Administration
Planning and Policy Analysis in the Public Sector
Politics in the Public Sector
Management of Public and Municipal Finance
Elective One: Choose 1:
|Ethics in the Public Sector
Strategy in the Public Sector
Leadership in the Public Sector
Elective Two: Choose 1:
|Local Government Management
Research in the Public Sector
Labour Relations in the Public Sector
- The minimum entry requirement is an appropriate Bachelor's Degree or appropriate Advanced Diploma.