Programme Code: SAQA-99337 - NQF level 7 - Credits 144
The Mancosa [School of Education] is proud to announce the launch of a Postgraduate Certificate in Education in Further Education and Training Teaching. This is a one year programme aimed at developing graduates who wish to become school teachers. Teaching choices may be selected from a list of specialisations offered by Mancosa.
The purpose of the programme is to provide professional education and training to develop foundation competence, practical skills and reflexive skills needed for an initial teacher education qualification as beginning competence in teaching. The graduates of this programme will be able to teach competently in the FET phase of schooling. This programme offers a cap to potential students' prior Bachelor's qualification with a specific focus on developing their professional knowledge and teaching skills in teaching their approved specialisation in a South African school.
Upon successful completion of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate foundational knowledge of theories and principles that inform teaching and learning;
- Demonstrate knowledge of the diverse context in which teaching and learning takes place within the South African school system;
- Develop and understanding of a learner-centred pedagogy to meet the diverse learner needs and contextual variations of the country;
- Demonstrate their ability to plan lessons for teaching incorporating the use of teaching and learning technologies to facilitate effective learning;
- Be familiar with the prevailing school and curriculum policies that inform teaching practices;
- Be able to demonstrate the skills in teaching of the specialisation subjects taking cognisance of the teaching context, educational infrastructure and school resources across the diverse schooling context that is prevalent within South African communities;
- Be able to communicate effectively in class through the medium of English;
- Be able to converse with learners in one of the indigenous African languages.
Duration: 1 year
|1||1||Education Studies: Curriculum, Teaching and Learning||Foundational Knowledge (Core)|
|Year Long||FET Teaching Specialisation 1*||Electives|
|1||English Communication and Academic Literacy||Fundamental Learning (Core)|
|1||Teaching Practice 1||Knowledge (Core)|
|2||Education Studies: Sociology and Philosophy||Foundational Knowledge (Core)|
|Year Long||FET Teaching Specialisation 2*||Electives|
|2||Teaching Practice 2||Workplace Integrated Learning (Core)|
|2||** isiZulu conversational||Fundamental Learning (Core)|
|1||Professional Studies and Professional Ethics||Situational|
** Recognition of Prior Learning
*List of teaching specialisations
Students are required to choose two teaching specialisations from the list below:
- Business Studies
The normal admission requirement into the PGCE (Further Education and Training Teaching) is an approved Bachelor’s Degree with up to second year level of content knowledge leading to the teaching specialisation. Where a student does not have the requisite subject content knowledge, s/he would be able to take additional subject content knowledge modules concurrently with the PGCE (Further Education and Training Teaching) programme. The additional module/s will be over and above those required for the award of the PGCE (Further Education and Training Teaching) qualification. The PGCE (Further Education and Training Teaching) qualification will only be awarded once these credits, if needed, are obtained. Alternate admission into the PGCE (Further Education and Training Teaching) will be considered through the institution’s Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) policy.