Programme Code: SAQA-98825 – NQF level 9 – Credits 180
The Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree is a highly regarded programme providing postgraduate training for employees in the public sector and the non-government organisation (NGO) sectors. It seeks to blend a traditional Master’s level qualiﬁcation with the practical skills needed for the public sector environment.
The Master of Public Administration degree programme also offers students a wealth of relevant knowledge and skills required for a rapidly developing state in Africa. The programme will provide access to higher education to people who choose careers in the ﬁeld of public management, commerce and business management and provide a vertical articulation pathway from the existing MANCOSA Bachelor of Public Administration and Bachelor of Public Administration Honours programmes.
The Master of Public Administration programme is varied in its content and style and is academically challenging and stimulating as an NQF level 9 qualiﬁcation. The MPA examines the inter-relationship between public, private and non-governmental sectors, where relevant, and particularly focuses on the new public management context which emphasises issues such as good governance and administration.
The MPA brings together a select and relatively small group of students from a range of nationalities and with different experiences, together with academics and adjunct academics with extensive experience of working in the public sector.
The MANCOSA MPA Programme:
- Enable individuals to become specialists in public administration by gaining in-depth, conceptual and contextual (technical) knowledge in a complex area of study.
- Provide South Africa (and other countries) with graduates who can synthesise information autonomously in specialised ﬁelds of study in order to provide public sector leadership; managers who can deal with contradictions and evaluate complex problems independently.
- Provide South Africa (and other countries) with professionals who can demonstrate specialised leadership, self-awareness and adaptability, and play an innovative role as leaders in the public sector.
Duration: 1.5 years
|1||1||Public Policy Development Analysis
Strategic Public Sector Governance
Research Methodology and Applied Statistical Techniques
|2||Public Administration and Development Management Theory|
Advanced Financial Management in the Public Sector
Programme Planning and Project Management
|2||Elective: Choose 1 module:||
Public Sector Leadership and Change Management
Professional Ethics for Public Service Managers
Human Resource Management in the Public Sector
Sustainability and Disaster Management
- An Honours Degree or Postgraduate Diploma; or
- A Bachelors NQF level 8 degree; and
- Five years working experience, of which two years are in a supervisory/managerial capacity.
It is possible in exceptional circumstances to gain entry to the programme on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). For further information on this alternative admissions route, contact a student consultant at Mancosa [GSB].